Installation Docker on Lubuntu 18.04
Reading Time: 2 minutes
I like to use Docker containers to make my test. I observed that the software companies frequently propose a container version of their application to easily test the features or rapidly create a proof of concept to validate a design. Thanks to its portability, the container is becoming the cornerstone of the modern IT platform especially for the application teams; the container combined with an automation of the development pipeline will give to the company a strategic advantage to stay “Time to Market”.
I will install a docker version >1.12 because I want to use the GPU cores of the graphic card’s host fpr the acceleration of the calculation for the deep learning network.
Three steps were defined for the installation of Docker on my laptop:
- Validation that the docker version available on the repository of Lubuntu 18.04 > 1.12 (Requirements of NVIDIA)
- Installation of Docker thanks to the Lubuntu repository
- Execution of Docker container which guarantee the success of the installation
Step 1: Validation of the version of Docker
apt-cache showpkg docker.io
The repository indicates that the docker version is 1.13
Step 2: Installation of Docker
apt-get install docker.io
Step 3: Execution of a docker container to validate the installation
An easy and simple method to validate the correct installation of the docker daemon is to run the container hello-world.
This test validates that :
- The docker client is able to contact the docker daemon.
- The docker daemon is able to pull the image “hello-world” from the docker hub to the local registry
- The docker daemon creates a new container from the image which runs an executable that produces the output “Hello-World”
- The docker daemon streams the output to the docker client which sends
Now, I have the control of the speed of my laptop’s fan based on the real temperature of the 10 zones. It’s of course possible to better tweak the configuration file by for example determining the thermal zones of the processor and activate the fan based on this information. Feel free to give comments or ask questions and I will try to answer you.
If you find this post valuable, Rate it ! This helps me to improve it. For comments, you need to register with your LinkedIn account.